Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Ways to Use Summon
Research | Browse | Find that Title
Looking for the breadth of material available in your research area?
Summon provides access to journal articles, books and conference papers, archival material, reports, theses, patents and much more—opening up the realm of accessible research
- Limit by Content Type (format), Discipline, Subject Terms and Date to include only what you want in your search results
- Find resources beyond books and articles: Summon provides access to images, archival material, reports, theses, patents and more
- Find open-source resources: sources include free online resources such as Project Gutenberg and the Directory of Open Access Journals
- Export results to RefWorks or other citation managers
- RSS feed functionality for a particular search—any time an item matches your search, you'll be notified. Use this to find out when a book is reviewed, when you are cited, when a new book is added to the library, when your favorite author is mentioned, or when something in your specialty is published or added to Summon.
Journals by Title— print and ejournal holdings available to BGSU faculty, staff and students. Find a journal by title and link to full text.
Research Databases—subject-specific tools that provide indexing and abstracting of scholarly journals, newspapers, conference proceedings, dissertations, and book chapters.
Looking for resources on your topic?
Summon is ideal for browsing material that can be used for your assignments.
- Click on Subject Terms to include or exclude keywords that aren't relevant.
- Limit to full text and scholarly publications to ensure quick access to material relevant to your academic studies
- Limit to newspaper results for current affairs information
- Select only the Content Types that you are looking for, whether these are Journal Articles, Books, eBooks, Conference Papers, etc.
- Limit to location to identify books available in different areas of the library (keep in mind this will exclude electronic resources).
LibGuides - LibGuides provide subject portals to a range of library and internet resources relevant to an area.
Find that Title
Looking for something specific?
Summon provides a range of ways to search directly for items when you already know some of the details
- Phrase searching to specify the exact order of words in the title by enclosing them in quotation marks (example: "Modern Language Journal")
- Option to limit to the Content Type (format) of the title you wish to find.
- Use the advanced search to specify details such as author, title, volume/issue, publisher, or date, or to search for articles by keyword within a known journal title
BGSU Catalog or the OhioLINK Catalog—Use Advanced Search to construct complex search strategies, and search for known items by title, author, call number, or journal title.
Citation Linker—Use this form to look up a specific journal article and find out where it is available to you.
Want a better Summon experience? We recommend using Chrome, Firefox, or Safari as your browser - NOT IE or Edge.
Off campus or using wireless? Log in first for seamless access to online resources.