Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is Write-N-Cite?
Write-N-Cite allows users to run an abbreviated version of RefWorks while writing a paper in Microsoft Word. It automatically formats internal references and bibliographies. Only author, title, and year are displayed, but a full-view option is also available.
Downloading Write-N-Cite does the following:
- installs a Write-N-Cite icon on your desktop
- installs an Add-in to your Word toolbar
- installs a menu option in Microsoft Word under Tools for launching Write-N-Cite
What if I can't use Write-N-Cite?
If you are not able to use Write-N-Cite, you can still insert references and a bibliography into your paper. Once
the paper is written and you're ready to insert a reference:
- Log in to
- On the "References" tab, change the view to "One line/Cite View."
- Click the curly bracket icon next to the reference you want to insert. The
Citation Viewer window will pop up.
- Click the "Select" button; copy the citation and paste it into your document where you want it to appear.
- Make sure
to go back to the Citation Viewer and select Clear after the reference
When you have finished inserting all references, save and
close your paper.
Updates to Write-N-Cite 4
The latest version of Write-N-Cite 4 has updated features including:
- Compatibility with versions of Word 2013 that have been locally installed, as well as with Word 2010 and 2007
- Compatibility with Windows 8, as well as Windows 7, Vista, and XP
Some issues were also resolved with the new update, some of which include:
- Previously, users were unable to continue writing papers if they disconnected from the internet
- OpenURL links were not showing both in-text or within a bibiliography
- Users received an "unable to connect" error when multiple proxies were deployed at an institution
- Sometimes the auto-sync folder would not sync correctly
Install Write-N-Cite on a Mac
To install the latest version of Write-N-Cite on a Mac, first install Java 6 from the Apple support site, then follow the ProQuest installation instructions from this RefWorks page.
Please note: on Microsoft word for Mac, the Write-N-Cite tool is labeled "Proquest" in the toolbar.
Log in to RefWorks, then from the Tools drop-down menu, choose Write-N-Cite.
Versions are available for both Mac and PC.
This video will tell you how to install Write-N-Cite on your computer.
RefWorks in Microsoft Word
Once you download Write-N-Cite, a RefWorks tab can be found in Microsoft Word.
Inserting Citations and Creating Bibliographies in Write-N-Cite
This is a short video tutorial about inserting citations and creating bibliographies in Microsoft Word using RefWorks Write-N-Cite.