Established: 6 March 1840
County Seat: Port Clinton
Local Government Records
Counties, townships, and cities all keep records of interest to family historians. Probate Court records include Births and Deaths (first recorded in 1867), marriages, wills, and guardianships. Naturalization records may also be found here as well as in the Court of Common Pleas. For a full listing of offices, see Ottawa County Guide to Local Government Records.
Researchers interested in contemporary records, or any record not listed here on the CAC's inventories should contact the Ottawa County Courthouse for more information.
Active post offices are in bold.
Search the BGSU Libraries online catalog for Ottawa County, Ohio histories and atlases. The following indexes have been compiled and are available for use at the Center for Archival Collections.
- Cemetery inscriptions of Ottawa County, Ohio.
- Index to Declarations of Intention (pOG 2278 ref); Naturalizations (pOG 2777 ref)
- Marriages from the Probate Court, Ottawa County, Ohio, 1840-1890
- Obituaries and Memorial Cards of Some Ottawa Co. People, indexed by Martha Dykes.
- Ottawa, Sandusky, and Seneca Counties, Ohio, newspaper obituary abstracts, 1836-1870
Most local government record volumes are indexed at the front of each volume. Some separate indexes have been prepared and form part of the local record series. These include:
- Births, 1876-1890, 1r (#36)
- Naturalization Records, 1907-1930, 1r (#68)
- Naturalization Records and Declarations of Intention, n.d., 1r (#68)
Newspapers are useful to genealogical research because of the obituaries and community news appearing in them. The following communities published newspapers with information relating to Ottawa County residents. To see the CAC's holdings for each title, go to the Guide to Newspaper Holdings, select the letter the city name begins with and scroll down or use your browser's search function to locate the description of the newspapers. Newspapers may also be located at your local public library or at the Ohio Historical Society.
- Oak Harbor
- Port Clinton