Established: 28 February 1850
County Seat: Wauseon
Local Government Records
Counties, townships, and cities all keep records of interest to family historians. Probate Court records include Births and Deaths (first recorded in 1867), marriages, wills, and guardianships. Naturalization records may also be found here as well as in the Court of Common Pleas. For a full listing of offices, see Fulton County Guide to Local Government Records .
Researchers interested in contemporary records, or any record not listed here on the CAC's inventories should contact the Fulton County Courthouse for more information.
Active post offices in bold.
Search the BGSU Libraries online catalog for Fulton County, Ohio histories and atlases. The following indexes have been compiled and are available for use at the Center for Archival Collections.
- Fulton County, Ohio Marriages 7 Aug 1864-10 Jun 1927. CAC OG F497.F9 F8745
- Fulton County, Ohio Marriages, 10 Jun 1927-21 Jul 1944. CAC OG F497.F9 F875
- Index to the 1850 Population and Agricultural Census, Fulton County, Ohio. CAC OG F497.F9 B75 1993
- Index to 1860 Federal Census of Fulton County, Ohio. CAC OG HA577.F9 G34 1860
- Index to the 1870 Population Census, Fulton County, Ohio. CAC OG F497.F9 B74 1993
- 1890 Fulton County, Ohio Special Census of Union Veterans. CAC OG F497.F9 E393 1993
- Index to the 1920 Federal Population Census, Fulton County, Ohio. CAC OG F497.F9 B76 1995
- Index to the Book Fulton County, Ohio, 1850-1976. CAC OG F497.F9 I63 1989
- Tombstone Inscriptions, Fulton County, Ohio. CAC OG F497.F9
Most local government record volumes are indexed at the front of each volume. Some separate indexes have been prepared and form part of the local record series. These include:
- Birth Registrations, n.d., 1 r (#83)
Newspapers are useful to genealogical research because of the obituaries and community news appearing in them. The following communities published newspapers with information relating to Fulton County residents. To see the CAC's holdings for each title, go to the Guide to Newspaper Holdings, select the letter the city name begins with and scroll down or use your browser's search function to locate the description of the newspapers. Newspapers may also be located at your local public library or at the Ohio Historical Society.