Established: 4 March 1845
County Seat: Defiance
Local Government Records
Counties, townships, and cities all keep records of interest to family historians. Probate Court records include Births and Deaths (first recorded in 1867), marriages, wills, and guardianships. Naturalization records may also be found here as well as in the Court of Common Pleas. For a full listing of offices, see Defiance County Guide to Local Government Records.
Researchers interested in contemporary records, or any record not listed here on the CAC's inventories should contact the Defiance County Courthouse for more information.
Active post offices in bold.
Search the BGSU Libraries online catalog for Defiance County, Ohio histories and atlases. The following indexes have been compiled and are available for use at the Center for Archival Collections.
- Defiance County Death Records Index, 1884-1907. CAC OG F 497 .D25 D4 2004 v 1
- Defiance County Death Records, Index, 1908-1996. CAC OG F 497 .D25 D4 2004 v 2
- Index to the Defiance County Probate Court Records: 1845 - June 1995. CAC OG F497.D25 I53 1995
- Tombstone Inscriptions Index for Cemeteries of Defiance County, Ohio. CAC OG F497.D3T6
Most local government record volumes are indexed at the front of each volume. Some separate indexes have been prepared and form part of the local record series. These include:
- Birth Records, 1866-1908, 2r (#18, 42)
- Marriage Records, 1845-1885, 1r (#45)
Newspaperspapers are useful to genealogical research because of the obituaries and community news appearing in them. The following communities published newspapers with information relating to Defiance County residents. To see the CAC's holdings for each title, go to the Guide to Newspaper Holdings, select the letter the city name begins with and scroll down or use your browser's search function to locate the description of the newspapers. Newspapers may also be located at your local public library or at the Ohio Historical Society