Dr. Louisa Ha
Last Updated: Jul 1, 2014
Media Leader Profile Presentation
- For complete details about this assignment, check the BlackBoard site for this course.
Follow the "Find It!" link or button on an article in the research databases to locate online or print articles in other databases!
If an article isn't available full text in one database, it may be full text in another. Read the handout linked below for more information and instructions. Following Find It! will save you much time and frustration.
The Find It! button looks like this:
The following library databases contain biographical information about most of the contemporary media leaders listed on your assignment sheet.
- Academic Search Complete
Multi-disciplinary full-text database includes more than 5,300 full-text periodicals, of which 4,400 are peer-reviewed journals.
- Biography Reference Bank
Provides biographical information on approximately half a million people, from antiquity to the present, along with thousands of images. Contains some interviews.
- Business Source Complete
Provides information on all disciplines of business, including marketing, management, MIS, accounting, finance and economics.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic
Provides access to a wide range of full-text news, business, legal, medical, and reference information from nearly 5,000 sources. The service covers newspapers, magazines, wire services, and legal resources.
- Marquis Who's Who on the Web
Contains profiles on over 1 million individuals from various fields including: government, business, science & technology, the arts, entertainment and sports. NOTE: Access is limited to 2 users at a time. Keep trying if you can't get in.
- Newspaper Source
Contains selected full text for 245 regional U.S. newspapers, eighteen international newspapers, six newswires, nine newspaper columns, and cover-to-cover full text for The Christian Science Monitor and The Los Angeles Times.
- New York Times
To search the New York Times, enter your search terms in the Search Terms box, enter New York Times in the Select Source box, then click the red Search button.
- USA Today
To search USA Today, enter your search terms in the Search Terms box, enter USA Today in the Select Source box, then click the red Search button.
- Wall Street Journal
To connect, click on one of the "Connect to resource online from Factiva..." links, then once connected, enter search terms in the box labeled "Search this Newsstand: Enter free-text terms" and click the blue Run Search button.
Looking for information about a specific company or industry? Try these library resources:
1. Hoover's Handbook of Industry Profiles. Located in Reference shelves at REF HD2328 .H65.
2. Hoover's Handbooks (4 volumes). Located in Reference shelves at REF HG4057.A288
- Company profiles include history, personnel, key competitors, and 10 year financial tables
3. Connect to Lexis Nexis online and use the "Get Company Info" box to search for reports, including information from Hoover's.
4. Connect to Business Source Complete online and search for your company or industry. Try clicking on "Publication Type" in the left side menu and select Industry Profiles, SWOT Analysis, or Market Research Report for detailed information.
Need help? Chat with staff at the reference desk!